Friday, August 28, 2015

Kitties I have known - 2, Charlotte

24 x 24 Acrylic on stretched canvas Charlotte was a Cornish Rex, tiny (5 pounds) long, lean and all angles and elbows. The first day I met her, at the home of the person who bred her. She was 3 days old. The woman picked her out of the pile with her mother and put her on my hand. She opened those beautiful, icy blue eyes and hissed at me. I loved her immediately. All her life, she was the crabbiest, grumpiest, most angry cat I've ever met. I don't know why. The woman who bred her was gentle and kind and treated her cats with great affection and care. From the moment she came to live in our house, she was pampered and loved (maybe just a bit too spoiled?) And at 5 pounds against the other cats we had who were 25 pounds, it was amazing how she ruled, terrorized and dominated them. Charlotte was a force, a powerful personality and I loved her dearly, even though she treated me with the same contempt she showed the other cats. Oh, well. She was something!

No comments:

Post a Comment